Other places to find legal help and information:

Legal Information and Forms:

If you need to hire a lawyer:

  • West Virginia Lawyer Referral Service - http://www.wvlawyerreferral.org/ -  The attorney you contact from the WV Lawyer Referral Service may agree to see you for an initial consultation fee of no more than $25 for the first 30 minutes of the consultation.

Apply for free legal assistance:

There are organizations in West Virginia that provide free civil legal help if you qualify for their services. To apply for services, you will need to contact each organization.

  • Legal Aid of West Virginia (LAWV) - 1-866-255-4370 or online at www.lawv.net-  Provides free legal assistance to low-income West Virginians, mostly on these types of legal problems: protection from domestic violence, landlord tennant, government benefits, creditor harassment and bankruptcy. LAWV also provides services to children and families facing behavioral health challenges. LAWV takes phone applications on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. On Tuesdays LAWV takes phone applications in the morning from 8:30 to 12:30 and in the evenings from 6:00 to 8:00 P.M. Applicants can be submitted online by going to www.lawv.net and clicking the “Apply for Help” button in the top right corner.
  • Mountain State Justice - 1-800-319-7132-  Provides free legal assistance to low income consumers who are facing home foreclosure, were lied to in the process of obtaining a loan, purchased a defective home or car; or have received unfair charges on loans or credit accounts. You can also contact Mountain State Justice if you would like to apply for free legal assistance if you are a prisoner or know a prisoner that is being unfairly or unsafely treated in a jail or correctional facility.
  • West Virginia Senior Legal Aid (WVSLA) - 1-800-229-5068-  Provides free civil legal services for senior West Virginians age 60 and over. The person age 60 or over who needs legal help must be the one who actually calls WVSLA, not someone else calling on his or her behalf.
  • Clinical Law Program - West Virginia University College of Law - 1-304-293-7249-  Provides free legal services to low-income persons, generally in north central WV, in a number of areas including family law, social security, and other public benefits, property issues, consumer debt relief, bankruptcy, and immigration.

Need help with food, clothing, shelter, medicine or other services? Here are some other resources:

Active-Duty Military/Veterans Legal Assistance

ABA Home Front


ABA Home Front provides legal information, resources, and a directory of legal programs for veterans, service members, and military families. Programs listed include military legal assistance offices, legal aid and pro bono organizations, lawyer referral and information services, and military-specific programs where available.

ABA Military Pro Bono Project


The ABA Military Pro Bono Project accepts case referrals from military attorneys on behalf of junior-enlisted, active-duty military personnel facing civil legal issues, and it works to place these cases with pro bono attorneys.